BloodBorne Commitment

video games are fart
Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon
Consoles: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4.

Re: BloodBorne Commitment

Post by Gordon Frohman » Mon Mar 16, 2015 22:47

dfhdfghfghsrtzhjerzt5
Achilles wrote:...You may kiss my ring...

Honestly you guys, Frohman was an Internet terrorist.

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Mon Mar 16, 2015 23:12

i did it

i fucking knew my desire for the game would outweigh blowing 450 dollars. I LOSE AGAIN

NOW COME TO PAPA NEXT TUESDAY

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Tue Mar 24, 2015 02:09

TOMORROW M8S

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 14:13

What's yalls PSN's?

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 16:22

Skullz291

Oh man, I just bought it this morning and it was so hard to go to work today.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 17:28

It's so good.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Tue Mar 24, 2015 18:12

i know that feel sally

few more hours of work to go

(also if you wanna talk about the game more specifically use spoiler tags)

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Wed Mar 25, 2015 00:35

holy fuck i am getting my ass kicked. the playstyle change is massive.

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 01:59

That's the same thing that happened to me earlier this morning, I about broke something. I got the curve down pat, though.

I'm used to being nimble with light armor but always having a shield. This game really works your reflexes out, it's fantastic.

The annoying part is around the Central Yarnham lantern, it takes a billion years to get to the shortcut if you don't know where you're going. Once you
kill Cleric Beast and Father Glascoigne
you get new lanterns btw.

What trick weapon did you pick, kob? If you picked threaded cane, you mah nigga.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Wed Mar 25, 2015 02:23

yeah I think I'm getting the hang of it. playing passive is really discouraged in this game so I've had to shift my playstyle entirely. it took me like 2 1/2 hours just to beat the first boss when in previous Souls games I was at least two bosses deep on my first playthrough in the same amount of time. that first shortcut was hell to unlock.

i went with the saw cleaver. i usually just do a boring vanilla run with a sword on my first playthrough before doing cooler weapons.

do you know if using the transform attack does more damage? also can you stun bosses with a properly timed gun shot? i tried doing it against
Cleric Beast
but it wasn't working unless i used a molotov.

ALSO my only gripe with the game so far is the god damn loading times. they're pretty bad and make dying feel even worse.

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 02:46

kob wrote:yeah I think I'm getting the hang of it. playing passive is really discouraged in this game so I've had to shift my playstyle entirely. it took me like 2 1/2 hours just to beat the first boss when in previous Souls games I was at least two bosses deep on my first playthrough in the same amount of time. that first shortcut was hell to unlock.

i went with the saw cleaver. i usually just do a boring vanilla run with a sword on my first playthrough before doing cooler weapons.

do you know if using the transform attack does more damage? also can you stun bosses with a properly timed gun shot? i tried doing it against
Cleric Beast
but it wasn't working unless i used a molotov.

ALSO my only gripe with the game so far is the god damn loading times. they're pretty bad and make dying feel even worse.
They're working on a patch to make the load times shorter.

As for the weapon transformation, it depends. The threaded cane's alternate form is more for crowd control. I haven't used the hunter axe but I did use the saw cleaver for all of 1 minute before deciding the saw spear was better (IMO). The cane's sword form does more damage so I assume the other forms are really for distance/crowds.

Yeah, you can stun bosses. For the
Cleric Beast
, 2 shots aimed at its head brings it on its knees and you can do a shitload of damage on its face. As for
Father Gascoigne
gun parrying is the best way to beat him since his attacks are so easy to see coming.

My gripes are the lack of armor and weapons so far. I've helped quite a few people this evening with
Cleric Beast and Father Gascoigne
and EVERYONE looked the same. It's quite disappointing. Other than that it's utterly fantastic. Yharnam's atmosphere is so rich.

EDIT: Sally, I was watching your stream. Noticed a couple things.

You chose the cane. A+ in taste. Also, you tried to backstab someone. Backstabbing is different in BB. You have to hold R2 behind them, it's a lot harder now.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Wed Mar 25, 2015 04:33

i was talking about the weapon transformation attack, not the transformation itself. it seems i'm right, though. was doing about 20-30 dmg more. looks like a nice way to finish out a combo.

and yeah
Father Gascoigne was super easy. reminded me of an easier Gwyn.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 07:03

I was getting my balls rocked by this game. It is easily the hardest "Souls" game so far. The skills you picked up in Demon's and Dark barely apply here.

I would say my biggest gripe now is how far the game takes the gimmick of "things get harder when you lose." Like, if I just got fucked up badly by a boss and used up a ton of my gear, my souls are now stuck in that fight and I can't replenish them. Which means not only do you have to deal with long loading times and shortcuts filled with tough enemies, you have to farm for vials and bullets before you can even *attempt* them again.

I also don't like that there basically wasn't an intro video like there is in the rest of the games, and for the first hour or so you have no fucking idea what's going on and no motivation to do anything besides randomly explore in the hopes that you'll eventually figure out where to go. The exploration is fun but they could have kept that aspect of it while still having some semblance of an introductory sequence beyond just basically waking up in a room.

Other than that, I like this game a lot. It's tense, it's completely unforgiving, and it seems like it has a lot of depth to it. And it's definitely a lot more skill oriented than the other games. There is no falling back on strong builds, sturdy shields or good equipment this time. If you fuck something up, you're gonna die.

I've been rocking the cane, because hell yeah. It's kind of a laughably stupid idea for a weapon but it's got a reasonably good moveset and the alt-chain/whip attacks are an incredibly useful alternative to its short stabs and "slashes."

I don't know how you guys have beaten two bosses already. I followed window man's advice and skipped the first boss, only to find that the second boss is only marginally easier. Maybe I just suck with the gun but they seem to have tons of health and basically 2 or 3 shot me most of the time. I haven't really leveled up at all yet though, I keep losing my souls before I get a chance to spend them.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:19

I agree on dying, but at the same time both bosses I've done have enough enemies before the gate to rack up like 8-10. those ogre guys have 100% chance to drop at least 2 and sometimes 4 and they're really easy to kill if you counter them. those two lanky dudes before the 2nd boss drop them as well. if that design decision carries through with all the bosses, it makes dying less frustrating since you're gonna be killing them anyway.

running out of Blood Vials was only a problem for me before the first boss. I've got way more than 20. it seems like you have extras that carry over when you die as well? I died and respawned with 20 a few times.

yeah you should practice the gun. it's a lot easier than parrying was in the Souls games. for the 2nd boss
it makes him a big pushover by countering his attacks. two counters is enough to get him down to almost half health and then one more in his beast form will put him close to death. it makes the fight much easier. other than that, standard Souls humanoid fight tactics apply. dodge into and around his attacks while circle strafing then move in when it's clear and get a hit or two

getting those two bosses down was learning how to play the game entirely different from the Souls games. i used to sit back and play passive as hell with my shield up, but the flow of combat is starting to make sense with me. using the regain mechanic is critical to your success. it was a ball buster at first though. i died probably 25 times before i even got close to the boss. not sure if the game is this hard all the way through or it was a matter of the learning curve, but yeah i struggled hard at first.

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 14:41

Yeah, if your vial count goes over 20 (same with molotovs) it goes to your storage that gets replenished when you die. A good place to farm vials are near the two lycans on the bridge that gets you to Cleric Beast. Near there are dudes with guns where you can farm QS bullets. Also the ogre dudes almost always seem to drop 2, at the least.

Sally, as a fellow cane user I can say that its damage output, even upgraded a little bit, sucks ass. I barely dented CB's health with it until I used the saw spear. By the way, if you guys want more weapons,
go to the sewer and kill the big boar, there's a badge that unlocks more weapons.
I'm making my way in Old Yharnam right now. The dudes there are quite creepy. And it's dark, buy a hand lamp and antidotes from the Messengers in Hunter's Dream.