Graphics card problem?

Computer hardware, software and other technology related topics.
User avataroblivionhunter
Hell Knight

Graphics card problem?

Tue Jul 19, 2011 23:30

I got a new computer and it came with a 1gb Radeon hd 6670. But when i run the dxdiag it says that its ~743mb.... which isnt really all that close to 1gb. Just wondering if maybe the dxdiag would be wrong.. or if there is a better way to check the specs of your card. thanks.
Mr. Smith wrote:Isn't Australia in Europe?

User avatarGordon Frohman
Spider Mastermind

Re: Graphics card problem?

Tue Jul 19, 2011 23:45

I figure it's kinda like an Xbox HDD. It says 250gb, but like 20 or 30 of it is used for background functions. I am probably wrong though.

Achilles wrote:...You may kiss my ring...

Honestly you guys, Frohman was an Internet terrorist.

User avataritsmedan
Baron of Hell

Tue Jul 19, 2011 23:56

what tab are you seeing this under? the display tab?
Put the gun
In my mouth
Close your eyes
Blow my fucking brains out
Pretty patterns
On the floor

User avataroblivionhunter
Hell Knight

Tue Jul 19, 2011 23:59

I thought the same thing Gordon, just seeing if someone knows better then I do. And yes it was under the display tab.
Mr. Smith wrote:Isn't Australia in Europe?

User avataritsmedan
Baron of Hell

Wed Jul 20, 2011 00:20

the hard drive is because there is firmware instaleld already. i think the ram is like that because it is already using some of it, but i could be wrong.
Put the gun
In my mouth
Close your eyes
Blow my fucking brains out
Pretty patterns
On the floor

User avatarSaladin
Spider Mastermind

Wed Jul 20, 2011 00:59

Gordon Frohman wrote:I figure it's kinda like an Xbox HDD. It says 250gb, but like 20 or 30 of it is used for background functions. I am probably wrong though.

No, with HDD's they can legally lie because "gb" doesn't mean gigabytes, so it has like 10% less than it's supposed to (plus however many gigs the OS takes up)

But with video cards, we're talking VRAM, which has to be fairly close to the actual amount listed. 50-100 mb off maybe, not NOT like 250 off, that's crazy.

Ob, it's possible that maybe you didn't get the card you thought you did. Sometimes there are several different versions of the same kind of card that have less memory. Otherwise, it's possible that dxdiag isn't showing it right. With certain kinds of cards, for some reason, it like shows a completely different number I think, especially if it's an integrated card.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's right. I might have to look that up.

In any case, the VRAM isn't the most important aspect of the card. More VRAM does not necessarily mean a faster card.

User avatarAchilles
Spider Mastermind

Wed Jul 20, 2011 04:09

I bought the Radeon 5750. I was thinking I would buy a high end 2.0 card and use it in my comp until I could afford the new mobo and CPU. The mobo had 2 PCI express x16 slots, and I had done a lot of research suggesting that a 2.0 card would work fine in a x16 slot. So I figured why the hell not. When I ordered it, It was advertised as a PCI 2.0, when it came I noticed on the box that it said it was a 2.1. I had heard that most of the 2.1 cards didn't work well on the older slots but some of the reviews said that the 5750 worked fine. I also double checked my order slip and it said it was a 2.0. Well I tested it out and it worked great until about 2 weeks later when my comp would suddenly freeze in the middle of Crysis. I thought it was the game, so i tried Fallout 3 and it started on that too. I figured my rig was over heating and rigged up a fan to blow air into the back of it. Finally it started freezing while I was on the internet and just browsing around Windows. I didn't know what to do other than to restart the computer and when I tried to look it up I couldn't find anything relating to it. Finally it froze during the BIOS and that's when I knew something terrible was happening. Eventually it stopped working at all, and when I turned it on it just kicked on the fans at super high RPMs.

Everything worked fine until I installed that card. Still don't know what's wrong.
Fasbook

Achilles wrote: You were always a cartoonist Ransom... unrealistic.

User avatarSaladin
Spider Mastermind

Wed Jul 20, 2011 08:01

Maybe they don't actually work with the older slots.

Either that or something is going screwy with your comp in general, the mobo or the RAM from my guess.

Return to Hardware, software & technology