Best PC headset with mic?

Computer hardware, software and other technology related topics.
User avatarSaladin
Spider Mastermind

Re: Best PC headset with mic?

Sun Aug 14, 2011 16:57

Gordon Frohman wrote:Another question.

For motherboards, can I just buy any and expect it to work? I know that certain RAM sticks have to have compatibility with certain mobo's, so I'm not sure there.

You can buy any motherboard you want, so long as you've verified what processor and RAM it will work with.

In earlier days, newer PCI slots could become a problem if you wanted to upgrade, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

User avatarSyringe
Baron of Hell

Sun Aug 14, 2011 22:21

I use a steelseries 5Hv2 and it's really awesome. Has everything I want from a headset. comes apart easily for transport, has a pullout mic that isn't shitty quality. volume controls for the speakers and the mic (high/lo/mute for mic, a volume wheel for the actual speakers), and is USB plug'n'play. overall great piece of equipment.

also, yeah your mobo is really important, it dictates what parts you can use.

use this guide, it will tell you exactly what to buy, how good it is, and what it will cost you

(SEE A FEW POSTS DOWN FOR GUIDE)
Last edited by Syringe on Sun Aug 14, 2011 22:44, edited 1 time in total.

User avatarGordon Frohman
Spider Mastermind

Sun Aug 14, 2011 22:32

Syringe wrote:I use a steelseries 5Hv2 and it's really awesome. Has everything I want from a headset. comes apart easily for transport, has a pullout mic that isn't shitty quality. volume controls for the speakers and the mic (high/lo/mute for mic, a volume wheel for the actual speakers), and is USB plug'n'play. overall great piece of equipment.

use this guide, it will tell you exactly what to buy, how good it is, and what it will cost you

4chan banner?

Achilles wrote:...You may kiss my ring...

Honestly you guys, Frohman was an Internet terrorist.

User avatarQuack
Baron of Hell

Sun Aug 14, 2011 22:33

Gordon Frohman wrote:
Syringe wrote:I use a steelseries 5Hv2 and it's really awesome. Has everything I want from a headset. comes apart easily for transport, has a pullout mic that isn't shitty quality. volume controls for the speakers and the mic (high/lo/mute for mic, a volume wheel for the actual speakers), and is USB plug'n'play. overall great piece of equipment.

4chan banner?
thread from where he got the link to that image has been DALEETED

User avatarSyringe
Baron of Hell

Sun Aug 14, 2011 22:42

User avatarkob
CyberDemon

Sun Aug 14, 2011 23:21

steelseries is nice but they're also overpriced just like anything "gaming" related. i get by with sennheiser headphones and a logitech table mic. I paid about 100 bucks total and I have amazing headphones and a fairly good mic to boot.

User avatarSyringe
Baron of Hell

Sun Aug 14, 2011 23:40

KnightofBane wrote:steelseries is nice but they're also overpriced just like anything "gaming" related. i get by with sennheiser headphones and a logitech table mic. I paid about 100 bucks total and I have amazing headphones and a fairly good mic to boot.

as someone who has to listen to mike for hours on end, I can tell you to please get a good mic and not a shitty logitech one for the sake of the people who have to listen to you

sure they get the job done but BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

also table mics suck for background noiBOW WOW WOW WOWOWOWOWO RUFF RUFF BARK

but yeah sennheiser headphones are amazing

User avatarkob
CyberDemon

Sun Aug 14, 2011 23:57

Syringe wrote:
KnightofBane wrote:steelseries is nice but they're also overpriced just like anything "gaming" related. i get by with sennheiser headphones and a logitech table mic. I paid about 100 bucks total and I have amazing headphones and a fairly good mic to boot.

-insert overexaggerated steelseries defense force-

http://kiwi6.com/file/3i7k8i84wz

i'm obviously exaggerating here, but paying the money steelseries (and razer? dunno if they sell mics) want is kinda absurd. if you have a quieter keyboard than mine and you have more desk space a table mic is not that bad. and if you're doing push to talk you'll be fine

also i hear background noise and your dogs all the same. welcome to microphones

User avatarSyringe
Baron of Hell

Mon Aug 15, 2011 00:08

KnightofBane wrote:
Syringe wrote:

-insert overexaggerated steelseries defense force-

http://kiwi6.com/file/3i7k8i84wz

i'm obviously exaggerating here, but paying the money steelseries (and razer? dunno if they sell mics) want is absurd. if you have a quieter keyboard than mine and you have more desk space a table mic is not that bad. and if you're doing push to talk you'll be fine

also i hear background noise and your dogs all the same. welcome to microphones

I got my headset from steelseries for 60 bucks through the dreamhack promotion and I think that's a VERY reasonable price for what I got. it's a very high quality headset. steelseries mechanical keyboards are worth the money too imo but not their normal keyboards or mice.

OFFICIAL THINGS WORTH PAYING EXTRA FOR EXCLUDING THE PC ITSELF POWER RANKINGS:
1. HEADPHONES
2. MOUSE
3. MECHANICAL KEYBOARD
4. CHAIR
900001. SPEAKERS

User avatarkob
CyberDemon

Mon Aug 15, 2011 00:09

well for 60 bucks hell yeah but for the ~80 or so they're asking for i wouldn't recommend it. i think good headphones are way more invaluable than a microphone. as long as your shit isn't pure static you'll get by fine i think. like i said i paid about 100 for my headphone/mic setup and i have PHENOMENAL headphones and an above average mic. i could have probably shaved 5-10 bucks if i went full budget mode.

Spider Mastermind

Mon Aug 15, 2011 00:55

Awesome chart, thanks.

User avatarSyringe
Baron of Hell

Mon Aug 15, 2011 01:08

since you don't appear to have a lot of knowledge in the area, don't mix and match, just take one of the builds from the chart and buy exactly what it says

Spider Mastermind

Mon Aug 15, 2011 16:53

Thanks, but I just can't understand why you're helping me. Usually you try to fuck me over in this area.

User avatarSyringe
Baron of Hell

Mon Aug 15, 2011 18:57

whatever.

if you want to up/downgrade the processor on one of those builds, it's not that hard just make sure they have the same socket (the socket is on the chart), if they have the same socket the processors are interchangable. for the most part, graphics cards by the same manufacturer are interchangable as well but do some googling on specific products (X mobo + Y graphics card) to make sure its all good.

ram tends to not matter just get 4 gigs of 1333, 2x2

if you want to run 2 monitors make sure your graphics card is capable of doing that

User avatarScythe
Arch-Vile

Mon Aug 15, 2011 20:39

pretty much every modern graphics card is capable of that though.
<33
Ransom wrote:
Mr.Smith wrote:Apple faggot machine.

I imagine this as a little robot that wanders around and collects bundles of sticks and dumps them at your feet
only white, and stylish, and incompatible with most sticks

KnightofBane wrote:i did not touch it other than to put it in my mouth

click this if you're new

PreviousNext
Return to Hardware, software & technology