Elder Scrolls: Online Portal/Fourm

This is the place to post ideas and opinions on how to improve the community.

Elder Scrolls: Online Portal/Fourm

Postby Mr. Smith on Wed Feb 27, 2013 17:24

Make an Elder Scrolls: Online portal site and forum to attract new blood to the forums. Quack can run the portal site and mod the forum because he's the biggest Elder Scrolls fan I know. Come on guys, we do need new blood, we don't want Urra to die of hunger, do we?
burnfire88 wrote:I need a man that can make me squirt.

OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents

Ransom wrote:the sandwich minority

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind

Re: Elder Scrolls: Online Portal/Fourm

Postby kob on Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:32

it'd be cool but theres a lot of reasons why this won't work

kob
CyberDemon

Highscores: 1

Postby Aliens on Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:43

?????????

yea it seems like the portal thing only really worked with Oblivion

Aliens
Spider Mastermind

Postby Lord Ramen on Sat Mar 02, 2013 19:57

Mr. Smith wrote:Make an Elder Scrolls: Online portal site and forum to attract new blood to the forums. Quack can run the portal site and mod the forum because he's the biggest Elder Scrolls fan I know. Come on guys, we do need new blood, we don't want Urra to die of hunger, do we?

I might have to contest the "biggest elder scrolls fan" bit lol. I love Elder Scrolls.

I like the idea of trying to get new people to the forums, but first I think get PF members to play the game and get the name out there, and then direct interested parties here and smother them with the same warm embrace you all showed me!

Lord Ramen
Zombie Monkey

Postby Syringe on Sat Mar 16, 2013 03:31

the portal didnt work for oblivion either

the site had no content and it was staffed by me and khajiit who did nothing

it just got hits for no reason

Syringe
Baron of Hell

Highscores: 2

Postby Mr. Smith on Sun Mar 17, 2013 04:53

It sounds like it failed because someone wasn't doing their job....
burnfire88 wrote:I need a man that can make me squirt.

OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents

Ransom wrote:the sandwich minority

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind

Postby Paul on Sat Jun 08, 2013 19:54

Doom and Oblivion pure brought in the traffic. Everything else didn't.

Down to luck basically. Get in early on the search engines, ya might get lucky, so realistically too late for TES Online site. Nowadays its even more tough, where do you go if you wanna see stuff about a game? YouTube? IGN? etc. Traffic is too centralised these days.

Paul
Spider Mastermind

Postby kob on Sun Jun 09, 2013 00:39

not to mention the market is heavily saturated. we'd be bringing nothing to the table.

it'd be super rad if it worked because this place would be active again, but there would be no reason to visit unless we had something exclusive that was also high quality.

kob
CyberDemon

Postby Lord Ramen on Sun Jun 09, 2013 14:58

This is an internet board, where people can meet and chat from across the globe. It needs a focus, such as video games; not just elder scrolls but any and all games. Or it could go in a different direction but the board needs that centralised idea to bring in newcomers. For example, there are forums dedicated to BBQ'ing or cooking that i frequent a lot, the main focus is obviously outdoor cooking. It brings people in because it has an interest they are seeking. What does PF have? Old games and a general thread. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the board, if I didn't like it I wouldn't come back after all these years, but it doesn't have anything to interest outsiders.

Expanding to any and all games would be a collective pot for all games, Paul pointed out that is what IGN, youtube, etc. is for; but just because there is already very popular boards out there doesn't mean this site won't get ANY traffic from it either.

I enjoy/enjoyed the computer/hardware/tech threads, the elder scrolls (it's what drew me here in the first place), and the general subforum for the lulz. What about expanding the forum topics to something other than things that require a keyboard or controller? Why not a cooking topic (since I used it as an example earlier) to shed light on all the different global diets and dishes of all the members?

It would be wise to initially expand to open up the boards to the in-depth games (such as elder scrolls) that needed a community of players to share all the innumerable experiences with is what made the oblivion topic so popular.

Rawr.

Lord Ramen
Zombie Monkey

Postby Ducks on Sun Jun 09, 2013 16:46

PF is a video game forum. The General section is for anything else, including barbecuing. You could make a barbecuing/cooking thread in the general section? There might be one already actually
Jon0101 wrote:Cat or dog person? My sister forced the family to have dog and the rest of us take care of it, so I don't like dogs all that much, and cats are only good on video.

Ducks
Baron of Hell

Postby Aliens on Mon Jun 10, 2013 01:48

Lord Rameon wrote:This is an internet board, where people can meet and chat from across the globe. It needs a focus, such as video games; not just elder scrolls but any and all games. Or it could go in a different direction but the board needs that centralised idea to bring in newcomers. For example, there are forums dedicated to BBQ'ing or cooking that i frequent a lot, the main focus is obviously outdoor cooking. It brings people in because it has an interest they are seeking. What does PF have? Old games and a general thread. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the board, if I didn't like it I wouldn't come back after all these years, but it doesn't have anything to interest outsiders.

Expanding to any and all games would be a collective pot for all games, Paul pointed out that is what IGN, youtube, etc. is for; but just because there is already very popular boards out there doesn't mean this site won't get ANY traffic from it either.

I enjoy/enjoyed the computer/hardware/tech threads, the elder scrolls (it's what drew me here in the first place), and the general subforum for the lulz. What about expanding the forum topics to something other than things that require a keyboard or controller? Why not a cooking topic (since I used it as an example earlier) to shed light on all the different global diets and dishes of all the members?

It would be wise to initially expand to open up the boards to the in-depth games (such as elder scrolls) that needed a community of players to share all the innumerable experiences with is what made the oblivion topic so popular.

Rawr.

Well yeah, but the point is that, as Paul said, there are already centralized websites for all of that, so there is really no reason for people to come here now to talk about something that more people are generating ideas on elsewhere.

and as kob said, it seems that the only real way to draw people is to produce some kind of original content. Or maybe to act as a subsidiary board for a website that produces content.
[ citation needed ]

Aliens
Spider Mastermind

Postby kob on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:01

yeah i'd rather not end up like urra's little gaming site where all he did was take content from other gaming sites and mashed it together in some horrible MS paint tier clusterfuck

kob
CyberDemon

Postby Saladin on Mon Jun 10, 2013 19:07

Believe it or not, that's pretty much exactly what game journalism is.

Blatant ripoff news, if not outright plagiarism, is almost industry standard.

I doubt Urra is succeeding at it, but small gaming sites actually have a lot of viability because they're accessible. They often get exclusive interviews with smaller (or sometimes, bigger) developers and celebrities because it's an equal, trustworthy exchange. Having a niche focus helps too.

This stands in stark contrast to the IGN's or the Kotaku's, who often expect serious ass-kissing and are fucking vipers. Kotaku, in particular, will run a story that is blatantly false in order to generate controversy and clicks (they're owned by the same people as Gawker and Jezebel I think).

If we wanted to bring in a bigger audience, we should focus on providing general gaming news. And, if we get popular enough, we might be able to pull in an interview from some small member of some momentary popular game. Those generate explosive interest and hits. And they kind of roll into each other. Because once you develop a reputation like that, it's easier to get more.

Alternatively, we could be one of those ridiculous "list sites." There are a ton of those and they seem to do ok. You know the ones, "The Ten Scariest Games You've Never Played." Except we'd probably actually be good at it because I'd rate our knowledge at definitely above average.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Postby kob on Mon Jun 10, 2013 20:09

well obviously news is repeated among gaming websites, but when your site is literally nothing more than regurgitated news why would anyone care to visit? it's not like we'd have the advantage of being a centralized location for a specific kind of gaming either because other sites already do that.

like i said the only way this would work is if we had something exclusive to go along with it (which urra did not).

i'm not against the idea, but i think we need to have something worth coming to our site beyond "we post news and have discussions" so if you guys have ideas or industry contacts by all means go ahead

EDIT: THE TOP 10 WORST GAMING BUZZWORDS

#1 would have to be LIVING BREATHING WORLD

kob
CyberDemon

Postby Paul on Mon Jun 10, 2013 23:36

There is the small thing called Gamercast, that over the last 3 years has branched out into everything. Just half an hour ago the amount of traffic it was getting crashed the server, peaked at around 70 simultaneous requests and died. The forums are funnily enough already linked from there, but these forums don't look related to it, nor are they promoted. If they were tied together, meh maybe.

Trouble is keeping the website busy, during E3 we can pretty much manage it. Rest of the year less so, other trouble is most people can't write (or just say they'll do reviews to get games for free, and then the reviews have to be re-written because they're so bad), I can't be bothered to write for it, and the people that do write for it cover niche topics at the moment.

Paul
Spider Mastermind

Next

Return to Suggestions & opinions