As soon as you become mod, ban ransom for a day

if you have the balls to do it

burnfire88
Spider Mastermind
Spider Mastermind

Highscores: 19

Re: h-hello

Postby Saladin on Sat Sep 01, 2012 07:41

About a year ago, I tried to join a Starcraft club on campus.

One day, we had a tournament to see who was good enough to compete in the CSL (a college league for Starcraft). I knew I wasn't good enough to win, but I figured I'd join just for fun.

That day, I played all day to try and prepare for it.

I lost every game.

And then I lost my first match in the tournament and the loser's matchup after that.

At that point, I figured the competition was so far ahead of me, it kind of wasn't worth trying to catch up. I like to think I'm semi-competent at the game too, I played Starcraft 1 for a while and was decent enough at it.

I didn't quit just because of that though. It just honestly wasn't that interesting after a while. Cooler games came out and I barely have enough time to play them during the school year as it is.

I kept it installed for a while, but never really got back into it.
--------
tl;dr I kept getting stomped and lost interest. It isn't that interesting of a game once you've played for like 40 hours.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Spider Mastermind

Postby Syringe on Sat Sep 01, 2012 14:19

Saladin wrote:About a year ago, I tried to join a Starcraft club on campus.

One day, we had a tournament to see who was good enough to compete in the CSL (a college league for Starcraft). I knew I wasn't good enough to win, but I figured I'd join just for fun.

I lost every game.

And then I lost my first match in the tournament and the loser's matchup after that.

At that point, I figured the competition was so far ahead of me, it kind of wasn't worth trying to catch up. I like to think I'm semi-competent at the game too, I played Starcraft 1 for a while and was decent enough at it.

I didn't quit just because of that though. It just honestly wasn't that interesting after a while. Cooler games came out and I barely have enough time to play them during the school year as it is.

--------
tl;dr I kept getting stomped and lost interest. It isn't that interesting of a game once you've played for like 40 hours.

yeah see I don't get this mentality

the game is always ever-evolving and you always have something to learn. it's like chess. there's always someone at your skill level to play against and there's always room to improve. I don't get how it could get stale.

pic related. I have over 1500 ladder games played and it's still absolutely captivating

edit: also yeah I know what the CSL is I used to work for it lol

Syringe
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

Highscores: 2

Postby Saladin on Sat Sep 01, 2012 18:51

Well, I think Chess is mostly boring too, to be totally honest. It's not that it's a bad game, it's a great game. If I reinstalled it right now, I would probably play it all day.

But you have to understand, I play a lot of games from a lot of different genres. I seek the novel in games, I rarely pick one up unless I think it offers me something new to explore.

Starcraft is interesting, but it requires intense commitment for what, later on, becomes a rather uninteresting game.

Like Chess, Starcraft is pretty close to being perfectly balanced. Perfectly balanced games have mathematical solutions. Unless you're interested in figuring out new strategies in that kind of playing field, I'm just not that interested in games like that.

Not when I have so many other things to play.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Spider Mastermind

Postby kob on Mon Sep 03, 2012 18:43

pretty much what saladin said. same problem i had with BW, too, and frankly every RTS ever. the gameplay is always the same so much like any other game that isn't evolving it gets boring after a while. meta changes and buffs don't change the gameplay and even if they did there's only so many units in the game that after balancing cycles you'll eventually end up building the same units.

it'd be kinda fun to pick up occasionally if i owned it, but it definitely doesn't have the lasting appeal of a game with crazy randomization (Isaac) or MMOs or DotA style games, which are the 3 I currently play the most. for reference if LoL had the same 40 heroes it had on launch i would've dumped the game a long time ago, or if Isaac had 50 items total I wouldn't have sunk 70~ hours into it (and counting). this ties in with me always bitching about how i seek games that will give me a ton of hours of BUZZWORD gameplay as opposed to paying $60 for 6 hours of BUZZWORD

as a long term investment it gets stale quick unless the whole reason you play is to challenge your skill and get better, but to me that isn't fun and i'm assuming saladin and many others feel the exact same way. as you know from playing LoL with me so much this is why i don't play ranked mode, or join the highest of the highest raiding guilds in WoW.

it's a good game for what it is though and its faults are not really a result of the game in specific, but the genre itself.

kob
CyberDemon
CyberDemon

Highscores: 1

Postby Syringe on Tue Sep 04, 2012 01:51

KnightofBane and Saladin wrote:words

Yeah I see your point. On the flip side though KoB- I guess I really really DO enjoy being challenged.

..which is why I only play ranked in LoL (except with you guys) and I was always in top tier raiding guilds. I really enjoy being challenged in games.

Syringe
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

Highscores: 2

Postby youdiedtooeasily on Tue Sep 18, 2012 03:16

hello!

I really am looking forward to the exp to SC2 (as long as they don't pull a D3 move) and might get back into SC again. when SC2 came out that's all I played for months but then I just straight up stopped and it's been a bitch to come back and try to catch up. only play custom games when I do log on but after seeing your progress it is pretty inspiring VoN.

I might give this another go when Heart of the Swarm comes out, and yeah I hear ya. I like playing shorter sustained matches in games rather than dragging and farming for 10 hours a day. hence GW2 may be shelved for a while. still an action RPG addict by heart but I do miss the competitiveness of SC. we shall see.

youdiedtooeasily
Arch-Vile
Arch-Vile

Postby burnfire88 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 09:32

Syringe wrote:
Saladin wrote:About a year ago, I tried to join a Starcraft club on campus.

I lost every game.

--------

yeah see I don't get this mentality

the game is always ever-evolving and you always have something to learn. it's like chess. there's always someone at your skill level to play against and there's always room to improve. I don't get how it could get stale.

pic related. I have over 1500 ladder games played and it's still absolutely captivating

edit: also yeah I know what the CSL is I used to work for it lol

>zerg
Mah n-word.
OB_rocks13 wrote:Chill

As soon as you become mod, ban ransom for a day

if you have the balls to do it

burnfire88
Spider Mastermind
Spider Mastermind

Highscores: 19

Return to StarCraft discussion