Who wants to know what happens to Morrowind and Vvardenfell?

For discussing Oblivion.
User avatarQuack
Baron of Hell

Who wants to know what happens to Morrowind and Vvardenfell?

Tue Dec 14, 2010 03:36

I know that a lot of you hold Morrowind deep within your hearts.
So, I thought I'd share it's fate with you.

I think I mentioned before that Morrowind explodes, but I didn't go into much detail.

If you're scratching your head, you obviously haven't read The Infernal City.

THESE ARE SPOILERS. BUT IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IN THE BOOK WITHOUT READING IT, THEN READ THIS:

The reason I'm going to share this with you is because TES:V seems to take place at the same time as or shortly after The Infernal City, and I don't think any of you have read it.

But you deserve to know, outlander.

The Ministry of Truth. That big rock floating over Vivec City.
Remember it?
The only thing holding that big rock up in the air is Vivec's divine power.
The Ministry of Truth is a meteor which would have destroyed Morrowind if Vivec didn't stop it.
So here's the thing....

When you played Oblivion, did you ever hear talk of the gods going missing from Vvardenfell? The Almsivi gods. Almalexia, Sotha Sil, and Vivec.

When the Nerevarine (you in TES:3) used Kagrenac's tools to destroy the Heart of Lorkhan, you didn't just destroy the heart and Dagoth Ur.

You destroyed the divinity of the Almsivi, who got their immortal god-like powers from the heart, just as Dagoth Ur did.

Almalexia, Sotha Sil, and Vivec all returned into mortal beings.

Vivec loses his powers, including the power to stop the Ministry of Truth from crashing into Morrowind. You're probably thinking: "It's not that big, wouldn't it just drop and maybe damage a little bit of the cantons in Vivec City?" So here's the other thing...

The velocity of the meteor, the speed that it was going at right before it was stopped, was not eliminated.

Without Vivec, it would innevitably crash into Morrowind at extreme speeds and destroy pretty much everything.

Resistence wasn't completely futile. An ingenium was invented that would hold the meteor in place again. The ingenium was created by a dark elf named Vuhon using the souls of the dying, and could only be fueled by the souls of the living. It was working fine, until a dark elf named Sul realized his wife was being used to fuel the ingenium. Sul obviously wanted to save his wife, and in doing so, the ingenium exploded and the meteor crashed into morrowind. Morrowind was in ruins, and the dark elves were seriously crippled if not dead.

Remember how the dark elves used Argonians as slaves?
The Argonians saw this opportunity to seriously fight back, and,
The Argonians invaded Vvardenfell and succeded in taking over.
Yeah.
(way to go argonians! ({)(}) )

So that's the fate of morrowind. :(

At the end of TES:IV, there is no emporer. The Empire eventually collapses, Black Marsh and Elsweyr completely get rid of any ties with the Empire, and imperialism in general seemed doomed.

All was not lost. An Imperial Nobleman, Titus Mede, gathered what forces he had and re-established the crumbling empire. Titus Mede became the new emporer by conquest.

So everything seems at least a little alright at this point.

But what about Sul and Vuhon? did they die along with the other dark elves?

When Morrowind fell, it was around the same time as the oblivion crisis, so the Daedric Princes had a lot of influence and power at that time.

Clavicus Vile. Remember him? With the dog? With the sword called Umbra?

Sul and Vuhon were banished into the oblivion realm of Clavicus Vile. There they met a man named Umbra. Umbra tells them that he was trapped into a sword by Clavicus, and has been trying to keep the sword away from Clavicus, but it just keeps coming back to him. Vuhon made a deal with Umbra: Vuhon would make another ingenium which could travel between the daedric and tamrielic realms so that Umbra could get the sword away from Clavicus again. In return, Vuhon wanted to be free from oblivion and go back into tamriel. Vuhon kept Sul captive while he made the ingenium, but eventually he escaped and found his way back into tamriel.

But did Vuhon succeed in making a new ingenium? An ingenium that could travel between realms? A device that could be strong enough to hold up a huge chunk of rock--a meteor?

You can see the answer for yourself by comparing these two images:

That floating city is the ingenium.

The story of this book is amazing. Sul teams up with the (at the time) current prince of the empire to stop the floating city, appropriately named Umbriel, as it sucks the souls of the living as it appears and floats over Black Marsh and heads towards the ruins of Morrowind. In order to get there in time, Sul and the prince need to get from Elsweyr to Morrowind before Umbriel does, which is a huge distance. Since Sul has travelled to oblivion and back before, he manages to make a pathway to Morrowind by making a shortcut through Oblivion. Sul and the prince end up in the daedric realm of Hircine. If you did the Hircine quest in Oblivion, you know him as the man with a moose head with big antlers and a spear. He is also in Bloodmoon (I think... sorry, I didnt really get into the expansions for tes:3). Hircine is all about hunting. To pass through his realm, Sul and the prince have to avoid being hunted by Hircine and his minions. Amazing stuff, really well written too. Sul and the prince get to Umbriel and fight Vuhon, but in the fight the prince is thrown off of Umbriel, and Umbriel vanishes along with Sul and Vuhon.

SO YEAH

User avatarQuack
Baron of Hell

Re: Who wants to know what happens to Morrowind and Vvardenf

Tue Dec 14, 2010 03:52

also, from UESP.net...
Skyrim is a powerful province, and thus has some wealthy areas... ...There are also influences from Morrowind, such as in the city of Winterhold, since refugees from Morrowind escape there, bringing new ideas, cultures, and stimulating the economy.

a little hope for die-hard dunmer fans.

User avatarSaladin
Spider Mastermind

Tue Dec 14, 2010 05:00

Wow, the story is a lot more intricate in the novels. I wish it was incorporated into the games a little better. Thanks for sharing, should be great backstory for TES V.

User avatarQuack
Baron of Hell

Tue Jan 04, 2011 04:46

from uesp.net:

Is This the Next Novel? — January 3, 2011

Amazon.com has started listing a book called "Lord of Souls: An Elder Scrolls Novel" by Greg Keyes, which sounds like it could be the followup to 2009's The Infernal City. According to Amazon, the book is due out on September 27 and has ISBN 978-0345508027, but there are no other details. There's nothing yet on amazon.co.uk or other international sites either.

User avatarsamuelmonaghan_aussie
Spider Mastermind

Tue Jan 04, 2011 05:56

would never have taken you for an elder scrolls person quack
Mr Smith wrote:Can we still say cunt even if Chill is still here?

User avatarQuack
Baron of Hell

Wed Jan 05, 2011 06:25

samuelmonaghan_aussie wrote:would never have taken you for an elder scrolls person quack
i am nothing but an elder scrolls person sam

User avatarsamuelmonaghan_aussie
Spider Mastermind

Fri Jan 07, 2011 02:53

Quack wrote:
samuelmonaghan_aussie wrote:would never have taken you for an elder scrolls person quack
i am nothing but an elder scrolls person sam

its unbelievable how much lore there is to TES
Mr Smith wrote:Can we still say cunt even if Chill is still here?

User avataroblivionhunter
Hell Knight

Sat Jan 15, 2011 09:54

wow, reading all that makes me want to read that book.... sounds good. and i love elderscrolls and would love to know more of the lore.
Mr. Smith wrote:Isn't Australia in Europe?

User avatarQuack
Baron of Hell

Sat Jan 15, 2011 21:08

doit

User avataroblivionhunter
Hell Knight

Sat Jan 15, 2011 21:46

i'm gunna look in the book story next time I'm at the mall... it should have it, it has evry other video game book out there haha
Mr. Smith wrote:Isn't Australia in Europe?

User avatarQuack
Baron of Hell

Mon Jan 17, 2011 00:20

the 2nd book comes out soon too

lordkevin

Tue Dec 18, 2012 05:14

Thanks for the nice post...
lord

User avatarQuack
Baron of Hell

Fri Dec 21, 2012 14:18

wow man reading my original post.... elder scross still gets me so pumped

User avatarMr. Smith
Spider Mastermind

Sat Dec 22, 2012 19:13

I thought Morrowind was in a box in my garage.
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents

Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.

Saladin wrote:Pretty sure I'd eat the poop spaghetti.

Return to Oblivion discussion